- Discussion of Mead video
- What to expect from next week
Friday, November 21, 2014
Thursday, November 20, 2014
Wednesday, November 19, 2014
Creative Ethnography: A Review with Margaret Mead
- How might we describe the type of fieldwork that Mead performed?
- What did Mead study?
- What were some of Mead’s key findings?
- What was significant about the types of questions that Mead asked? (You may want to think about this both in terms of in the field and at home.)
- Why is Mead’s work controversial today?
Tuesday, November 18, 2014
Monday, November 17, 2014
Friday, November 14, 2014
Wednesday, November 12, 2014
Thursday, November 6, 2014
Wednesday, November 5, 2014
Monday, November 3, 2014
Please read the follow webpage: http://www.ratical.org/many_worlds/onlyDifferent.html. You can skip the intro box and the part where the person is giving a review of Will Roscoe's The Zuni Man Woman. You should be reading from "the following excerpts" all the way up to the footnotes. As you read look for the questions bulleted below. I would like you to answer these in complete sentences in a Google Document. You should practice using evidence from the reading to support your answer.
- To practice reading informational texts--particularly pieces written at the college level
- To support our answers with facts from the texts
- What were the male and female gender roles in Zuni society like?
- What was life like for Zuni women? (Try to practice using our vocabulary from this and past units.)
- Who was We'Wha?
- What is a berdache?
- How did Europeans react to them?
- How did the Zuni regard them?
- Reflect: What does looking at Zuni gender relations reveal about gender in Western society?